This is an official American Mountain Guides Association Climbing Wall Instructor course.
This twenty hour course will address the basic skills necessary to manage an instructional
program at a climbing facility, and will address the following general topic areas:
• professionalism and the role of a climbing wall instructor;
• client orientation and instruction;
• teaching general climbing skills including movement;
• teaching top-rope and lead belaying techniques;
• teaching proper leading techniques;
• teaching proper equipment care and use;
• proper facility use, care, and inspection;
• assist/rescue and emergency procedures; and
• risk management.
Upon successful completion of the course the participants will receive an AMGA
certification as a Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI) at either the Lead or Top Rope standard.
Certification Program Goals:
To increase the level of professionalism in indoor climbing in the USA;
To improve the level of climbing wall instruction in the USA;
To develop a more consistent standard of care for climbing instructors in the USA.
Number of Participants1